Ingredients1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 butternut pumpkin, about 675 g, peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes
1 red capsicum, seeded and sliced
1 bay leaf
1 can chopped tomatoes, about 400 g
1 can black-eyed peas, about 410 g, drained and rinsed
1 can corn kernels, about 200 g, drained
300 ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, or to taste
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1–2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic, butternut pumpkin, red capsicum and bay leaf.
- Stir well, then cover the pan and allow the vegetables to sweat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, the black-eyed peas and corn, and stir to mix.
- Add the stock, worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, sugar and vinegar and stir again.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley over the stew and serve at once.
Each serving provides 1403 kJ, 335 kcal, 15 g protein, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 62 g carbohydrate (21 g