- 8 slices baguette
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (20 g) butter
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 400 g chicken livers, well trimmed
- 250 g small chestnut or button mushrooms, quartered
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh sage
- salt and pepper
- small sprigs of fresh sage to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Arrange the bread on a baking tray.
- Using 1 tablespoon of the oil, lightly brush the slices of bread on the top side, then bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil with the butter in a heavy–based frying pan.
- Add the onion and garlic, and sauté over a moderately high heat for 2–3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the chicken livers and mushrooms, and cook, stirring constantly, to brown on all sides.
- As they cook, break up any large livers into bite–sized pieces, using the side of the spatula.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, shredded sage and seasoning to taste.
- Reduce the heat a little and continue cooking for 5–10 minutes or until the livers are just cooked through.
- Serve the chicken livers on top of the baked bread rounds, garnished with sprigs of fresh sage.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: about 20 minutes