- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed chilli
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 telegraph (long) cucumbers, diced
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), seeded and diced
- 500 g (1 lb) skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets, cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (80 g) peanuts, roasted
- ⅓ cup (10 g) fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- ½ cup (125 ml) salt–reduced chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juicelemon wedges, to serve
- In a bowl, whisk together the mirin, sesame oil, chilli and 1 teaspoon of the sugar.
- Add the cucumbers and capsicum and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate to medium.
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning during cooking.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper, add the ground coriander and toss well to coat.
- Set aside until needed.
- Put the remaining sugar, garlic, peanuts, coriander, stock and lime juice in a food processor and process until well combined and smooth.
- Set aside.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers.
- Grill the chicken skewers for about 5 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the skewers with the cucumber salad and lemon wedges on the side, with the peanut sauce passed separately in a smaller dish.
Preparation: 20 minutes, plus 30 minutes soaking
Cooking: 5 minutes