- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and sliced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamonseeds from 8 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 200 g Greek–style yogurt
- 500 g lean boneless lamb, cubed
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 250 g fresh baby spinach
- ⅓ cup (20 g) chopped fresh coriander
- sprigs of fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole dish.
- Add the onions, garlic and ginger, and fry for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden.
- Stir in the chilli, paprika, cumin, coriander, white pepper, cinnamon, crushed cardamom seeds, bay leaves and salt.
- Stir briefly over a moderate heat, then stir in the yogurt and 150 ml water.
- Add the lamb, mix well and cover the pan.
- Simmer gently for 1¼ hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach and chopped coriander.
- Cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring, until the tomatoes have softened slightly and the spinach has wilted.
- Taste for seasoning and remove the bay leaf.
- Serve garnished with fresh coriander.
Preparation: 20-25 minutes
Cooking: about 1½ hours