- 1½ tablespoons (30 g) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 350 g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 350 g chicken mince
- ⅔ cup (55 g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 500 g small new potatoes
- 4 tablespoons low–fat natural yogurt to serve
- fresh parsley to garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 litre passata
- pinch caraway seeds
- Melt the butter in a heavy–based frying pan.
- Add the onion and mushrooms, and cook over a moderate heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- The mushrooms give up their liquid initially, but this evaporates to leave the mixture greatly reduced, dark in colour and very thick.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add the mince to the mushroom mixture and use a fork to break up the mince.
- Add the breadcrumbs, egg, parsley and a little salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Wet your hands to prevent the mixture from sticking to them, then shape it into 20 walnut–sized balls.
- Set aside.
- To prepare the sauce, heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish.
- Add the onion and cook for 4–5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned.
- Add the garlic and capsicums, then continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 2–3 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and cook for 1 minute, then pour in the passata and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Stir in the caraway seeds and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the meatballs and the potatoes to the simmering sauce, taking care not to break up the meatballs.
- Bring the sauce back to simmering point, then cover and simmer gently for 35 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Ladle the meatballs, potatoes and sauce into bowls and swirl a little yogurt into each portion.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: about 55 minutes