- 500g skinless chicken thighs, diced
- 2 tablespoons peanut or rice bran oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 dried red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup (50g) raw cashew nuts or peanuts, toasted
- steamed rice, to serve
- To make the marinade, combine all of the ingredients in a shallow bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken, in two batches if necessary, and cook for 5 minutes or until just golden. Remove to a plate.
- Heat another 1 tablespoon of the oil in the wok and add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the chilli, Sichuan pepper and the white part of the spring onion and stir-fry for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Combine the soy sauce, rice wine and sugar in a small bowl, then add to the chilli mixture in the wok and stir well. Add the chicken and stir-fry for about 2 minutes to heat through. Stir in the spring onion greens and cashew nuts. Remove from the heat, divide among serving bowls and serve with steamed rice.