- 1 eggplant, cut into large chunks
- 2 zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 2 red capsicums, quartered and seeded
- 1 green capsicum, quartered and seeded
- 4 ripe tomatoes, halved
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 1 bulb garlic, cloves separated but unpeeled, plus 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup (40 g) sunflower seedssoy sauce
- 350 g long, wide pasta, such as reginette, lasagnette or pappardelle
- ¼ cup (60 g) tomato paste, or to taste
- handful of fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped if large, or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Arrange the eggplant, zucchini, capsicums, tomatoes, red onions and whole garlic cloves in a single layer in a large ovenproof dish or roasting tin.
- Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of the oil, a little cayenne pepper, half the chopped garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but not soft and mushy, and are charred in places.
- Turn the vegetables once or twice during cooking, and increase the heat slightly if they are not cooking quickly enough.
- Meanwhile, toast the sunflower seeds.
- Lightly brush a frying pan with just a few drops of oil, then heat the pan.
- Add the sunflower seeds and toss and turn them for a few moments until they begin to toast.
- Shake in a few drops of soy sauce and turn the seeds quickly, letting the soy sauce evaporate as the seeds toast and brown lightly.
- This should take about 4–5 minutes in total.
- Remove from the heat just before the seeds are crisp and leave them to cool in the pan.
- They will crisp up as they cool.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Drain well and keep hot.
- Cut the roasted vegetables into bite–sized chunks.
- Toss the vegetables and garlic with the remaining raw chopped garlic, the tomato paste and basil or parsley.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Toss the pasta with the vegetables and serve immediately, sprinkled with the toasted sunflower seeds.
Preparation: about 20 minutes
Cooking: about 45 minutes