- 2 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 7.5 cm piece of celery stalk
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, about 400 g
- 3 cups (750 ml) fish stock, preferably homemade
- 4 tablespoons medium cider
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 400 g waxy potatoes (e.g., long white), cut into large chunks
- 250 g carrots, thickly sliced
- 250 g zucchini, thickly sliced
- 250 g green beans, cut into short lengths
- 1 yellow or red capsicum, seeded and sliced
- 500 g cod fillet, skinned and cut into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- finely shredded zest of 1 lemon
- Tie the parsley, thyme and bay leaf with the celery to make a bouquet garni.
- Put the bouquet garni in a large saucepan.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, the stock, cider and onion, stir and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, half cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and carrots.
- Increase the heat to moderate and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Stir in the zucchini, green beans and yellow or red capsicum and continue simmering, covered, for 5 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Discard the bouquet garni.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then add the cod to the simmering broth.
- Cover and cook gently for 3–5 minutes or until the fish is opaque, just firm and flakes easily.
- Do not allow the broth to boil rapidly or the fish will overcook and start to break up.
- For the garnish, mix the parsley, chives and lemon zest together.
- Ladle the fish and vegetables into warm bowls, then add the broth.
- Sprinkle the garnish over the top and serve at once.
Preparation: about 20 minutes
Cooking: about 40 minutes