- 1⅔ cups (350 g) mixed long–grain rice and wild rice
- 300 g skinless smoked chicken breast fillets, cut into bite–sized pieces
- 250 g honeydew melon flesh, some scooped into balls and the rest cut into bite–sized pieces
- 250 g pineapple flesh, cut into bite–sized pieces
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
- salt and pepper
- cos lettuce leaves
- ⅓ cup (20 g) finely chopped fresh tarragon or parsley
- Put the rice mixture in a saucepan and add water to cover by a depth of 4 cm.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until tender (or according to the packet instructions).
- Drain well in a colander and set aside to cool.
- Tip the cooled rice into a large bowl.
- Add the chicken, melon and pineapple, and fold together gently.
- Stir in the orange zest and 3 tablespoons of the orange juice, adding more if liked.
- Season to taste.
- Line a serving bowl with the lettuce leaves.
- Spoon in the salad, then sprinkle with the chopped tarragon or parsley.
Preparation: about 30 minutes, plus cooling
Cooking: about 15 minutes