- 8 large beefsteak tomatoes, about 170 g each
- salt and pepper
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅔ cup (60 g) flaked almonds
- 1 small eggplant, about 170 g, cut into 1 cm dice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 ml) boiling vegetable stock
- ⅔ cup (125 g) couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- ⅓ cup (60 g) dried apricots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon harissa paste
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the insides using a teaspoon.
- Place the hollowed–out tomatoes and cut–off tops on one side.
- Put the seeds and scooped–out flesh in a sieve set over a small jug or bowl and press with the back of a spoon to extract the juices; you will need about 4 tablespoons.
- Leave the jug of juice on one side and discard the seeds and flesh.
- Sprinkle a little salt over the insides of the hollowed–out tomatoes.
- Place them upside down on a plate covered with paper towel and leave to drain while making the filling.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a non–stick saucepan.
- Add the flaked almonds and cook over a low heat for 2–3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the saucepan.
- Stir in the eggplant and cook for 5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned and tender.
- Stir in the coriander, cumin and cinnamon, and cook for a further few seconds, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a rapid boil, then add the couscous in a steady stream, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, return to a low heat and cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring with a fork to separate the couscous grains and fluff them up.
- Stir in the toasted almonds, mint and dried apricots.
- Add the harissa paste to the reserved tomato juices and stir to mix, then pour over the couscous.
- Season with pepper to taste and mix well.
- Spoon the couscous mixture into the tomatoes, replace the tops and serve.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: about 15 minutes