1 kg green apples, such as granny smith
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- cream, ice cream or custard, to serve
- Peel, quarter and core the apples.
- Cut each quarter into three wedges.
- Place in a wide saucepan and sprinkle with the sugar, stirring to combine.
- Add the cinnamon stick, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons water.
- Bring to the boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the apples are tender, gently turning them occasionally so they cook evenly. Don’t stir too much or they will become mushy.
- Serve warm with cream, ice cream or custard, or allow to cool and use in another recipe.
Here are more simple recipes to make using apples.
Creamy chicken salad with ginger
This creamy yet light chicken salad using crisp green apples is ideal for serving as a cold buffet dish.
Apple and date salad
A crunchy salad of fruit, vegetables and nuts in a creamy yogurt–based dressing can be enjoyed with bread or as a side dish.
Spicy date, apple and ricotta dip
Use as a dip with crudités or as an unusual topping for toast or scones for breakfast.
Plus another easy dessert.
Cinnamon banana caramels
Any fruit can be used to make this instant version of crème brûlée.