Ingredients500 g (1 lb) boneless, skinless, firm white fish fillets, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons red curry paste
1½ tablespoons fish sauce
10 green beans, trimmed and thinly sliced
⅓ cup (15 g) chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
1–2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
¼ cup (55 g) sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) coconut vinegar or white vinegar
1 long red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- Put the fish into a food processor and pulse for 30 seconds.
- Add the curry paste and fish sauce and pulse until the mixture is just combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the beans and coriander and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 12 portions and shape each portion into a thin patty.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- To make the dipping sauce, put the sugar, vinegar and ¼ cup (60 ml) water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir for 2–3 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat, cool, then stir in the chilli, fish sauce and coriander. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Cook the fish cakes, in batches, for 3–4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately with the dipping sauce on the side.
Each serving (3 cakes) provides386 kJ, 92 kcal, 9 g protein, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 g carbohydrate (5 g sugars), <1 g fibre, 420 mg sodium.