- 2 onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 400 g orange sweet potato or swede, cut into chunks
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 leeks, white part only, about 300 g in total, thickly sliced
- ⅔ cup (140 g) pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- salt and pepper ¼ cup (7 g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the onions, carrots, celery and sweet potato or swede in a large flameproof casserole dish.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the garlic, leeks, pearl barley, sage and seasoning.
- Stir to mix the vegetables together.
- Cover and transfer to the oven to cook for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are just soft, and the barley is tender.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
- Thick slices of farmhouse bread are an excellent accompaniment.