Add the following ingredients to 1 cup (250 ml) good-quality shop-bought or homemade mayonnaise. For a healthier alternative, try 1/2 cup (125 ml) each of mayonnaise and natural (plain) yoghurt or crème fraîche.
- Aioli 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Curry 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Herb 1/2 cup (about 30 g) chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley, basil and thyme
- Horseradish 2 tablespoons grated horseradish from a jar and 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh chives
- Lime or lemon 2 teaspoons grated zest and 1 tablespoon juice
- Mustard 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Wasabi 2 teaspoons lime or lemon juice and 1–2 teaspoons of wasabi (Japanese horseradish).
Find this and many more colourful, healthy recipes from cuisines around the world in Seasonal Salads. Available from Reader’s Digest.