- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 200 g lean smoked back bacon, rind removed, snipped into large pieces
- 1 large red capsicum, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 1/2 cups (400 g) frozen broad beans, thawed
- 2 small firm heads of radicchio, cut into wedges
- chopped fresh parsley to garnish (optional)
- 1/3 cup (90 g) mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- generous pinch of caster sugar
- 3–4 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill if not using a toaster for the bread.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, mustard and sugar. Add enough milk to make a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large saucepan. Add the bacon, capsicum and onions, and fry over a high heat for 4 minutes, stirring, until the onions have softened.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread in a toaster or under the grill. Cut it into cubes. Set aside.
- Stir the broad beans into the bacon mixture and add 1 tablespoon water. Heat until sizzling, then cover the pan and leave to cook for 4 minutes.
- Arrange the wedges of radicchio on top of the bean and bacon mixture. Cover again and cook for 3 minutes or until the radicchio has wilted, but still holds its shape.
- Spoon the salad into shallow bowls and drizzle over the dressing.
- Scatter the toasted bread cubes over the top, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.