- 4 baby leeks, white part only, about 200 g in total
- 250 g baby parsnips
- 1½ tablespoons (30 g) butter
- 250 g baby carrots
- 8 baby onions or French shallots
- 150 ml vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Trim the leeks and split them lengthwise without cutting them completely in half.
- Open out and wash under running water to remove any dirt.
- Cut the parsnips in half lengthwise.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole dish.
- Add all the vegetables.
- Stir in the stock, sugar, bay leaf and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
- Cook for 20–25 minutes or until the vegetables are barely tender.
- Remove the lid and boil the liquid for 2–3 minutes or until bubbling and reduced to a thick syrup–like glaze.
- Turn the vegetables in the glaze, discard the bay leaf and serve immediately.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: about 30 minutes