- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 yellow capsicums, seeded and diced
- 2 bunches of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 500 g chicken mince
- salt and pepper
- Tomato and basil sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 g roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, about 20 g, stalks discarded and large leaves torn into smaller pieces
- pinch of caster sugar
- few drops of Tabasco sauce
- Heat a ridged cast–iron grill pan, then brush with about 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- Grill the zucchini slices, in batches, until tender, turning to mark both sides with charred lines.
- Add a little more oil when necessary.
- Alternatively, brush the zucchini slices with 1 tablespoon of the oil and cook under the grill for 10 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan, add the capsicums and cook for 5–6 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and golden.
- Add the spring onions and garlic, and cook for a further 2–3 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the mustard powder and stir well.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and leave to cool slightly.
- Add the chicken mince and some seasoning to the bowl and, using your hands, mix well to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Use the zucchini slices to line a 900 g loaf tin, laying them crosswise and slightly overlapping.
- Arrange them so the ends hang over the sides of the loaf tin.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the tin, pushing the mixture into the corners, and smooth the surface.
- Fold the ends of the zucchini slices over the top.
- Set the loaf tin in a roasting pan of water (bain marie).
- Bake for 1 hour or until the loaf is cooked through; the juices should run clear when a knife is inserted into the centre.
- About 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, put all the sauce ingredients in a medium–sized saucepan, reserving a few small basil sprigs for garnish.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 15–20 minutes.
- Press the sauce through a sieve into a clean pan, and season to taste.
- Reheat the sauce.
- Drain off the juices from the loaf tin, then slice the loaf.
- Serve hot, with the tomato sauce and garnished with the reserved basil sprigs.
Preparation: 40 minutes
Cooking: about 1 hour 10 minutes