- 200 g rigatoni
- 1 large red capsicum, seeded and halved
- 125 g tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 eggplant, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- ⅓ cup (35 g) freshly grated parmesan
- salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Drain and rinse under cold running water, then drain thoroughly and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Grill the capsicum halves, skin side up, for 5–10 minutes or until blistered and blackened.
- Place in a plastic bag, then leave until cool enough to handle.
- Grill the tomatoes and eggplant for about 5 minutes or until slightly charred.
- Turn the vegetables so that they cook evenly, and remove the pieces as they are ready.
- Place the tomato wedges in a large salad bowl.
- Set the eggplant slices aside on a plate to cool slightly.
- Cut the eggplant slices into 2.
- 5 cm strips and add to the tomatoes.
- Peel the capsicum and cut it into 2.
- 5 cm strips, then add to the salad bowl.
- Mix in the pasta.
- In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinegar or lemon juice with the oil, basil, capers, garlic, if using, and parmesan.
- Lightly toss this dressing into the salad.
- Season to taste.
- Set the salad aside for about 30 minutes so that the flavours can mingle before serving.
Preparation: 10 minutes, plus cooling and 30 minutes marinating
Cooking: about 25 minutes