- ⅓ cup (50 g) sun–dried tomatoes (dry–packed)
- ⅔ cup (100 g) plain flour
- ⅔ cup (100 g) fine cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 200 ml low–fat milk
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 can creamed corn, about 200 g
- 1 small green capsicum, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Put the sun–dried tomatoes in a small heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over them.
- Set aside to soak for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are plump and tender.
- Drain well and pat dry on paper towel, then snip into small pieces using kitchen scissors.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Grease an 18 cm square deep cake tin and line the bottom with baking paper, then grease the paper.
- Set the tin aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg, then stir in the milk, oil and corn until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the corn mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Add the sun–dried tomatoes and capsicum, and stir until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
- Check that the bread is baked through by inserting a wooden cocktail stick into the centre – it should come out without any sticky mixture clinging to it.
- If there is mixture on the skewer, bake the bread for a further 5 minutes, then check again.
- Allow the bread to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold, cut into squares.
MAKES 9 SQUARES
Preparation: 10 minutes, plus 30 minutes soaking and 15 minutes cooling
Cooking: 25-30 minutes