- 12 meaty pork spare ribs, about 900g in total
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- large strip of orange zest
- 150 ml orange juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dark soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2–1 teaspoon chilli powder, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Trim as much fat as possible off the spare ribs, then put them in a saucepan. Cover with cold water and add 2 tablespoons of the vinegar. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, skimming the surface from time to time.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, the oil, orange zest and juice, tomato paste, sugar, worcestershire sauce, mustard and chilli powder in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 4–5 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
- Drain the ribs and arrange them in a single layer in a large roasting tin. Pour over the orange mixture and turn the ribs to coat them evenly. Loosely cover with foil and roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and roast for a further 20–25 minutes, turning and basting occasionally, until the ribs are dark brown and sticky. Transfer to a large serving dish and serve warm.