500 g cleaned squid, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
300 g zucchini, cubed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500 g ripe roma tomatoes, diced
100 ml red wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons sugar
400 g spaghetti, preferably black squid ink spaghetti
small bunch of fresh basil, about 15 g
salt and pepper
- Separate the tentacles from the squid bodies.
- Trim the base of each tentacle and set aside on a plate.
- Cut the bodies into thin rings.
- Heat the oil in deep frying pan, add the onion and chilli, and fry over a high heat for 3 minutes, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Add the squid rings, zucchini and crushed garlic.
- Stir-fry for 3 minutes or until the squid is opaque.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, tomato paste and sugar, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir well, then leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, while the sauce is cooking, cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Add the squid tentacles to the sauce.
- Reserve a few sprigs of basil for garnish, and tear the remaining leaves into the sauce.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until the tentacles are just cooked and opaque.
- Drain the spaghetti and divide among 4 plates.
- Spoon the squid and sauce over and garnish with the reserved basil leaves.