- 500 g (1 lb) skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets, thickly sliced
- 150 g (5 oz) shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 200 g (7 oz) snow peas (mangetout)
- 2¼ cups (200 g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup (250 g) sliced canned bamboo shoots
- 1 cup (150 g) frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon salt–reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- To make the teriyaki marinade, put all of the ingredients in a large bowl and stir well to combine.
- Add the chicken strips and gently toss to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat a wok or large non–stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and marinade and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chicken to a plate, reserving the marinade in the wok.
- Cover the chicken to keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms and ginger to the wok and cook for about 2 minutes over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the snow peas to the wok and stir–fry for 1 minute, then add the bean sprouts and stir–fry for a further 1 minute.
- Stir in the bamboo shoots and peas, cover, and cook gently for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and reheat for 1–2 minutes before serving.
Preparation: 10 minutes, plus at least 1 hour marinating
Cooking: 10-12 minutes