- 250 g silverbeet leaves
- 1.5 litres chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2.5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce, or to taste
- 200 g baby corn, each sliced on the diagonal into 2–3 pieces
- 120 g shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 200 g snow peas, each cut on the diagonal into 2–3 pieces
- 1 can sliced bamboo shoots, about 220 g, drained
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup (150 g) long–grain rice
- 350 g lean pork mince
- 250 g bok choy, leaves finely chopped and stalks reserved
- 2.5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five–spice
- pinch chilli powder
- First prepare the meatballs.
- Place the rice in a saucepan and pour in enough water to cover, then bring to the boil.
- Boil for 1 minute, then drain in a sieve and leave to cool.
- Mix the pork with the chopped bok choy leaves, ginger, spring onions, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, five–spice and chilli powder.
- Pound the mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Put the rice into a large shallow bowl and separate the grains with a fork.
- Take a small lump of pork mixture, squeeze it together and roll it into a ball about the size of a walnut.
- Roll the ball in the rice until thickly coated.
- Set aside.
- Repeat, making about 20 balls.
- Cover the bottom of a steamer rack with a single layer of silverbeet, leaving gaps between the leaves.
- (If using stacking bamboo steamer baskets, you will need 2.
- ) Add the meatballs in one layer, leaving space between them for the rice to swell.
- Put the stock and ginger in the steamer base and bring to the boil.
- Set the steamer on top and cover.
- Steam the meatballs for 35 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, cut the stalks of the bok choy across into 1 cm pieces.
- Remove the steamer from the pan and set it aside on a plate.
- Add the sherry, soy sauce, baby corn, shiitake mushrooms, snow peas, remaining silverbeet leaves, bamboo shoots and spring onions to the stock.
- Bring back to the boil, then replace the steamer rack and steam the meatballs for a further 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the balls to a warm serving bowl.
- Add the silverbeet leaves from the steamer to the broth.
- Taste the broth and add more soy sauce, if liked, then transfer it to a warm tureen.
- To serve, ladle some broth and vegetables into 4 warm bowls and add a few balls to each.
- Ladle in more broth and add balls during the meal as required.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: about 40 minutes