Ingredients1 litre full-cream milk
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
50 g lean smoked back bacon, rind removed, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour
400 g smooth thin-skinned potatoes, such as desiree, scrubbed and finely diced
1 parsnip, about 150 g, grated
freshly grated nutmeg 2
½ cups (115 g) baby spinach leaves
salt and pepper
- Bring the milk just to the boil in a saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan heat the oil over a moderately high heat.
- Add the bacon and onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the flour and stir to combine, then slowly add about one-quarter of the hot milk, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan to mix in the flour.
- When the mixture thickens, stir in the remaining hot milk.
- Add the potatoes and parsnip.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste and bring just to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the heat so the soup bubbles gently.
- Half cover the pan with a lid and continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach leaves and continue cooking for 1–2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Ladle into a warm tureen or individual serving bowls and serve at once.
Each serving provides 1486 kJ, 355 kcal, 15 g protein, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 g carbohydrate (17 g sugars), 4 g fibre